Monday, June 22, 2009

So some back story...

So, I haven't had a chance to work on this yet, so I figured I'd just write a brief overview of the first three days of my internship:

Day 1:

The flights were ok; the desert was impressive. However, there was a mix up in when Donny and Joseph were going to be arriving at 5...they didn't get in til 9. So I was in the El Paso airport for 9 hours straight. It was a little uncomfortable, but I napped and it worked out alright. I crashed as soon as we got to Rhonda's house though.

Day 2:

After getting a nice solid 8 hours of sleep, I woke up to begin ModelFest. I discovered that Rhonda's house was gorgeous--it's set in pine forest and is in the process of being remodeled. It's spacious and perfect for this event. The best part of the house is her studio space that is in the basement. There are walls of jewelry, hats, wigs, and costumes. I drool everytime I go down there.


The Modelfest thing involved meeting and talking to models, photographers, and stylists. I was shy at first but I got a little more ambitious and relaxed by the end of the night. There was a modeling contest that was basically like a challenge in ANTM. The models had to compose their own outfits and then model in them both with their bodies and expression. It was fun and a really good way of seeing what the models could do. After the competion, we had a sunset photo shoot at White sands. White sands is exactly what it sounds like; a desert of white sand. It was gorgeous.



It looks like snow and there were actually quite a few children sledding down the dunes. I personally think this is insane. You can't sled with out snow. Nor can you have a snowball fight, but some children were doing this as well. But regardless, the shoot went well; it was a race against the sun since we were running really late. But the models did well and Joseph said he got some good shots. Tired but happy, we retired to Rhonda's and had a little party.

Day 3:

So Day 3 was a full day of shooting. from 10 til 10. I took some behind the scenes shots and just observed the styling process. The location for these shoots was a waterfall that we had to hike to. When they said hike, I didn't picture that they meant it would be on the edge of a cliff. It was scary going down, but it was definetly worth it for the view.



Although not Joseph's ideal location for a shoot, he worked with it anyway. I got a bit of a sunburn, but it could have been worse. Afterwards we took a break to eat and recover from the climb. Afterward we began preparing for a downtown shoot with the same models plus a band. i was in charge of making the classical faerie more "street". I was petrified about doing this, but I used some of my own armwarmers and jewelry and then got some help from Rhonda. They ended up liking it, so I was happy. After that shoot, we came back and did a studio set with a street faerie and a darkling. Then I helped another model style herself a new outfit, which was fun. After all that, we were finally done. I picked up the costume room a bit and then went to socialize. We watched the Labyrinth, which was fun.

As for Day 4, it's just started, so I'll write about it later.

1 comment:

  1. Wow sounds awesome so far. I'm so jealous of all the places you got to go they sound beautiful, especially the white sands place. I'm glad you're getting involved with the models and the shoots. It sounds like you're having fun. I'll keep checking fo more posts.

    ~Chelsea

    ReplyDelete