Monday, July 13, 2009

Day 23-25

Day 23: Labyrinth of Jareth Goblin Clockwork/Steampunk Night

So after much work on Thursday, I completed my costume for Friday's masquerade. It didn't turn out as I expected, but it worked out well. I'm definetly going to attempt to create some more steampunk attire at some point. Donny and Joseph picked me up around 5 so we could go shoot the Clockwork Faerie before the event actually began. The shoot went well, although we never actually go to shoot with the large clock that they had constructed on the stage because they were busy rehearsing. He did take some shots in the garden where they had constructed a gear driven sculpture. It was really cool.


I helped with lighting and took some behind the scenes shots just in case they needed them for something. The shoot was over just as the doors opened for the event. I decided to not keep my camera with me because it was cumbersome and did not match my outfit at all (hehe). Here's a picture of Maxwell, Joseph and I that Donny took.

I got quite a few complements on my outfit which pleased me. The other costumes were crazy. Some were very steam punk, although not all of them were. They were all pretty amazing and made me really wish that I had a small point and shoot digital camera. Maybe next time.
The music was pretty good; nothing too amazing. However what was really awesome were the little skits that they had throughout the evening. There were stilt walkers who were “night puppeteers” who were controlling these “marionettes.” There were also these people dressed up as goblins and one character who was wearing a Napoleon-esque outfit. It was really neat, although I honestly did not quite understand the whole story; mostly because we didn't see all of the skits. But it was an awesome element that really made the event that much more exciting. In addition, they had several bands and some people who could do ribbon dancing like in Cirque du Soliel. It was so cool.

That night we didn't stay til the masquerade ended, since we had been there for 2-3 hours before it even began. But we went home tired and happy.

Day 24—Labyrinth of Jareth Masquerade night

I got picked up much later for Day 2 of LOJ, which was nice because I was still very tired from the day before. We went over to Maxwell's place to see her new apartment and to help her get ready. She decided to wear the outfit I had designed for her photo shoot. While she was getting ready, we ordered Chinese food and I obsessed over Maxwell's cat who was an adorable tiger cat. We arrived to the masquerade around 10. This time I opted to keep my camera, partly because I really wanted to shoot some of the costumes, and partly because the camera wouldn't look that bad with my outfit. Here's another group photo, this time of Maxwell, Donny and I.


And here are some of the pictures I took. The first one is of this couple who were dressed in Alice in Wonderland-themed outfits. The woman's dress has these cards sewen down the side, it was awesome. There were some other alice-themed costumes, but I think these were the best.


Next, there was this couple who was dressed as Kermit and Miss Piggy as Jareth and Sarah; it was kind of creepy, but cool.


The last photo is of this guy who had one of the simplest costumes of the men in attendance. There were actually a lot of men who went just as far out with their outfits as the women; it was pretty awesome. However, this guy's costume just struck me for some reason. Very simple, yet iconic somehow.


I found lots of costumes that I liked, although I had to agree with Donny; a lot of them seemed to be fairly basic corset and big skirt deals. But it was fun anyway. I got to watch one of the performances from the balcony which was nice because I could better see everything that was happening. It was a little ballet about a marionette who was in love with a prince and wanted to be free of her puppeteer. It was quite beautiful.


I only lasted about an hour in those sandals that I bought before I couldn't handle them anymore. But I'm glad I bought them anyway; they'll make great shoes for some photo shoot some day and besides, Alicia said she would wear them.

We actually stayed the whole night on Saturday and were pleased by the ending band, West Indian Girl. Later in the evening, Joseph actually ended up talking to one of the guys from the band and he might do their album art at some point in the future. It was a good night and I definetly look forward to going back some day, hopefully with some friends and better costumes.



Day 25

Unfortunately for all of us, Sunday could not be a day off. Our goal was to organize the wardrobe department, which we began by ppicking up some new plastic containers On the same trip, they took me to Michaels so I could buy some paint and glass. I was excited because I also found a bigger pack of Crayola Slick Stix that had 5 more colors than the set I had before, including silver and gold. I'm very excited about them. Still not sure if I will do more drawings like last semester in my drawing class or if I'll do something in connection with my cliché verres, but it's good to have the options.

I spent a good hour if not more going through all their jewelry and bagging every piece individually. I went through at least 110 bags and there were many pieces that were already bagged. I liked the experience of getting to see all their jewelry (some of them were really nice and I was tempted to steal them, hehe), but it was also terribly monotonous and by the end I so wanted to do something else. Which I did in fact, get to do. Next we sorted through all the clothing pieces and made various piles. Then, Donny and I rolled up each piece, put them in the bins, and labeled them. I was truly glad that they decided to wait on making the lists of items with reference numbers of which drawer each piece was in because I really don't think I could have handled that.

I was amazed that we managed to get everything to fit in the small space that we had to work with. Likewise, I was shocked by how clean the area was. It was definetly worth the time we spent on it to have it look that nice. Whether it will stay that neat is debatable, but for now it looks awesome. I kind of wish we had taken before and after pictures so I could show you all how bad it really was. I guess you'll just have to trust me.

After we were finally done, we went out to eat with one of Joseph and Donny's friends who had just come back from visiting her boyfriend's family. It was a good dinner, but I was definetly glad to get home afterward. I was really tired from all the weekend's excitement. Thankfully, Joseph declared the next two days a work-free time period, so I have some time to recuperate. However, I also need to get working on my own images if I really want to show any at FaerieWorlds. And that is precisely what I'm going to start on now.

No comments:

Post a Comment